You are in: TurramurraTo Places
Located on a hill on Sydney's north shore, the area that would become Turramurra takes its name from the Aboriginal word meaning 'big hill'. With initial land grants in the area covering relatively small allotments, the suburb housed small agricultural pursuits such as market gardens and orchards and handsome residential country houses for the Sydney elite.
Referred to by early settlers as 'Eastern Road', Turramurra would be named following the extension of the Hornsby railway line through the area in 1890, and this much needed transportation route through what was otherwise quite an isolated area would only encourage further residential growth in the suburb. By the 1910s, Sydney's sparsely populated suburbs such as those on the North Shore had become particularly attractive to residential property developers looking to exploit Sydney's urban sprawl, and the land was further subdivided into specifically residential blocks.
As a leafy, attractive and quiet suburb, it was particularly appealing to newly married couples who wanted to start families and this proliferation of young families would see the establishment of local primary and high schools. With few apartment blocks approved to be built in the area and only a small village centre, the suburb has retained much of its heritage charm. Yet more recently, the council have revealed plans to redevelop the area surrounding the railway station to incorporate a commercial centre and include higher density housing developments. These plans have outraged many local residents who are determined to retain the peaceful residential profile of the suburb.