You are in: Dangar Island, Hawkesbury RiverTo Places
Dangar Island, on the Hawkesbury River, south of Gosford and surrounded by Ku-ring-gai National Park, is one of two Hawkesbury River Islands developed for residential housing. First discovered by Governor Arthur Phillip in 1788, the island was eventually purchased in 1864 by Henry Carey Dangar, son of prominent Government Surveyor Henry Dangar and was subsequently named Dangar Island. The island was particularly important during the construction of the Hawkesbury River Rail Bridge in the 1880s with each piece of the bridge assembled on the island before being shipped across the water to where the bridge was to be built.
The 1920s saw the island become a popular holiday getaway for Sydneysiders and with the island being divided into residential lots for the first time saw a number of holiday homes being built. Only accessible by boat this hideaway Hawkesbury River Island, with its no car policy and laidback atmosphere, is today a popular Hawkesbury location for permanent residents and holiday makers alike.
SSC16933: Dangar Island