Two photographs of historic houses
These photographs were used by Frank Walker (1861-1948) who was by profession a printer and stationer, however he is better known as an historian and was instrumental in the founding of the Royal Australian Historical Society. At the inaugural meeting he was elected to the Council and over his career served as Honorary Treasurer, Vice-President, Honorary Librarian and as President from 1912-1913. Walker travelled throughout New South Wales gathering historical evidence, taking photographs, lecturing and writing articles and books on Australian history. He was particularly interested in exploration and local history and these photographs of Crows Nest House and Newington were probably taken by him and used by Walker for an article or lecture. Crows Nest House was built not long after Edward Wollstonecraft received a grant of 524 acres around the area of Crows Nest, it was later occupied by Alexander Berry (1781-1873). Newington House was built by John Blaxland in 1832, it later became a boy's boarding school and later still a home for aged women. It is now part of the Mullawa Correctional Complex.