Ryde Pumping Station and site
Ryde pumping station as a whole is highly significant as an integral component of the water supply system to much of Sydney. At its completion it was the largest water pumping station in Australia, and today retains considerable fabric and work practices which can be interpreted from that period. While much of the significant plant and equipment has been removed and replaced, it still maintains the overall function and values it was designed for. The significant curtilage includes only the buildings, works, archaeological evidence, machinery and equipment, sheds, and cultural landscape elements (including paths, drives, plantings etc.) up to 1930 listed in the following pages.
The Ryde Pumping Station site contains landscape elements of high significance and has the ability to demonstrate three important and distinct phases of its history by its pre-European vegetation remnants, farming phase remnants and the distinctive 1890s earthworks and group of 1920s plantings associated with, respectively, the 1890s site use, and 1920s major expansion, for the North Shore water supply.
The design of the main civic address both built, (pumping station and residence) and planted, demonstrates the high importance placed on the site at this time of its development. The place continues to make an important contribution to the local townscape and serve as an outstanding landmark group.
The remnant 1920s plantings are likely to have associative value in being with the influence of JH Maiden Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens (!896-1924) and include mature species that are uncommon within the State Chilean Wine Palm (Jubaea chilensis). The place holds scientific value as a reserve for indigenous vegetation remnants.
Source:NSW Heritage Branch
Victoria Road, West Ryde, NSW