Earthenware teabowl and saucer from Bristol.
In 1953, Sydney collector, Annie Maria Gillies, bequeathed around 100 decorative art objects to the Vaucluse Park Trust, which later became part of the Historic Houses Trust of New South Wales. In 1998, the Trust transferred this collection to the Powerhouse Museum.
The greater part of this collection consists of around 80 examples of English porcelain dating from the mid eighteenth to the early nineteenth century. These items represent the strength of the English porcelain industry, including the vast market for objects with rococo and neoclassical motifs as well as Asian-inspired designs and forms. Worcester, Chelsea, Derby, Bow and Spode were some of the largest and most successful factories operating in England at this time, and their work is well-represented in this collection.